It was announced today that the UK population grew by almost half a million last year and that no country of the UK or region of England experienced a population decrease! Here at Shareagift we love learning about new and interesting ways in which our world is changing! We have put together a list of 15 facts that we find amazingly interesting about the world we live in today.
- Every house in Bermuda produces its own water supply by using rain-catching roofs.
- Downloading copyrighted material in Switzerland is legal!
- Women in sub-Saharan Africa are as likely to die in pregnancy or childbirth as women in nineteenth-century England!
- Around the world approximately 37,000 child marriages take place each year.
- No one knows how many people live in the country of Bhutan. As of 1975 no census has ever been taken.
6. After Rhode Island accidentally legalised prostitution, reports of rape decreased!
7. Buying or selling chewing gum is illegal in Singapore.
- 90% of all adoptions in Japan are adult adoptions.
- There is around 200 times more gold in the world’s oceans, than has been mined in our entire history.
- It’s a criminal offence to drive around in a dirty car in Russia.
- There are more cars than people in Los Angeles.
- The total weight of all the ants on earth is greater than the weight of all the humans on the planet.
- Italian banks accept Parmesan cheese as collateral for loans.
- The population of Ireland is still 2 million less than it was before the potato famine, 160 years ago.
- Rain of fish is an annual weather event in which hundreds of fish rain from the sky onto the Honduran city of Yoro.
Want to discover some world facts of your own? Use Shareagift to raise money for all sorts of experiences for you and friends, from honeymoons to wedding anniversaries and birthday presents, or even just a well deserved holiday!