Here at Shareagift we are all concerned about the amount of time we all spend sitting in the office, surely this can’t be good for us? We spend a lot of our lives sitting down whether that is on the commute to work, at the office or on the sofa in front of the TV.
Is Sitting Bad For Your Health?
A quote from the NHS website states that ‘studies have linked excessive sitting with being overweight and obese, type 2 diabetes, some types of cancer, and premature death’. http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/fitness/pages/sitting-and-sedentary-behaviour-are-bad for-your-health.aspx.
Researchers looked at 47 studies regarding the relationship between sitting and mortality. Their findings were published last January in the journal Annals Of Internal Medicine. The results showed that people who sit for long periods were 24% more likely to die from health problems compared to people who sat less!
They also found that excessive sitting was associated with:
- 18% increased risk of dying of cardiovascular disease.
- 13% increased risk of being diagnosed with cancer.
- 17% increased risk of dying from cancer.
- 14% increased risk of being diagnosed with heart problems.
- 91% increased risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
These are some staggering results, but don’t panic! With the help of the Internet we have produced a list of our top 6 tips for breaking up and avoiding long periods of sitting.
Tips And Tricks That Could Save Your Life!
- Fidget! I know your mum told you not to but according to a number of studies this helps to keep the body active and more awake.
- Stand on the commute in (if you use public transport, obviously not if your driving to work, that would just be silly).
- Hide the remote. If you find yourself engrossed in long periods of TV watching this will ensure you get up every time you want to change channel.
- Keep office supplies far away. If you sit behind a desk all day, each time you need to staple that document or write a note you will have to get up from your desk to go find it.
- Drink lots! This will ensure you take regular toilet breaks.
- Get a dog. This speaks for itself!
Whilst looking for ways in which to reduce our sitting, we stumbled upon a number of amazing and wacky inventions people had come up with to help with this issue. Take a look at the videos of people trying out our favourite ones.
The Treadmill Desk
The Smart Cushion
Of course the most obvious way to avoid sitting is to go out and be active! Don’t forget you can use Shareagift to be active and raise money at the same time! Take a look at our post on Fundraising Gone Mad for some amazing inspiration.